Because of this, Jessica Bowman asked a few in-house SEOs about middle management. Enjoy!
Question: What is Middle Management’s Role in the Success of the SEO Department?
Jessica Bowman spent a few minutes with Microsoft’s Senior SEO Architect, Derrick Wheeler:
We also asked AOL’s Director of Audience Development, Simon Heseltine, what middle management should be doing in order to make SEO happen. Here’s what Simon had to say:
- Middle management tends to escalate things that are taking too long, need to be descoped, etc., but they do not always understand nor communicate the impact on SEO. As a result, management descopes things for SEO.
- A lot of SEO requirements can be incorporated into other projects, but SEO teams either do not know how to do this or just don’t do it. Either way, middle management can usually weave in smaller SEO changes fairly, if they want to.
- Few SEO teams give lower-to-middle management the right tools for SEO success. As a result, these managers become an obstacle.
- The best way to influence middle management is to properly equip their teams with tools, resources, and win over their teams so they become SEO advocates.
- Too many SEO teams inadvertently frustrate middle management, and lose their respect through poor training, mediocre deliverables, inconsistent recommendations (which is often common for SEO), and failing to communicate SEO metrics and successes for their teams’ time.
Want to get your questions answered by other big brand SEOs?
This is just a small taste of the insights you can get from asking other in-house SEOs pin-pointed questions. Here’s how you can do more of it:
- Join us at the 2-Day Enterprise-Level Exchange in Santa Monica! You’ll get 2 full days of in-depth personal knowledge from the experts and answers to your specific questions. (Can't make it? Check out the 1 day events throughout the year, In-house SEO Exchange)
- Attend one of our in-house SEO happy hours - Join our mailing list in the form below to get announcements
- Submit a question to email@example.com